Have you ever Netflix and eaten take-out on a Friday night? Well, we’re not judging, but if you want to spice things up, try this luscious lamb shank recipe for just the two of you or more!
Ingredients (serves 4)
4 (1 1/2 lb) lamb shanks
2 large carrots, diced
1 onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
750 ml full-bodied red wine
2 cups beef stock
1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
1 -2 teaspoon cornstarch
olive oil, for cooking
salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 F degrees.
- Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper.
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, brown the lamb shanks on all sides in the olive oil; remove from pan and put into a large dish to keep warm.
- In the same pot put in the carrots, onions, garlic, bay leaves and rosemary and cook slowly for about 5minutes.
- Pour the red wine, beef stock, and brown sugar into the frying pan and stir gently bringing it to a low boil.
- Pour the wine mixture over the lamb shanks; top up with water if needed.
- Cover with foil; put in oven and cook for 2 1/2 – 3 hours until very tender.
- Remove the lamb shanks and keep warm and skim the fat off the top of the red wine juices.
- Mix together the cornstarch with just a bit of cold water and whisk the cornstarch mixture into the red wine juices until desired consistency.
Serve with your favorite side dish, we recommend creamy mashed potatoes. Enjoy!